Thursday, August 21, 2008

Folkestone Triennial


Anna & Rona enjoy Sci-Fi!
Originally uploaded by Nina Pope
Now I know that various readers are using this Blog as a guide to successful day trips from the big smoke (!) So I feel obliged to mention last Saturday's very enjoyable trip to the Folkestone Triennial.

I went with my 'Ladies Art Group' (or LAG as it's affectionately known) and we had a great day despite group difficulty in relaxing enough to go 'off art-map'. My personal favourite was the Heather & Ivan Morison converted fire/house truck full of sci-fi, although I always wish with these spaces that you didn't have to have an invigilator - although the one in here was very pleasant (in fact all the staff seemed extraordinarily young/helpful) you can't help but see them as part of the work, or indeed listen to their interpretation (albeit I'm sure the 'official' one in this case). I would have liked to just sit in the van and in fact wonder about who owned it, and why it might have been made ... the imagined context for a mobile home with robot fabric curtains and chunky wood furnishing.

Surprisingly I also really liked David Batchelor's Disco Mecanique - not really my cup of tea normally - but in the glorious setting of the former Metropole Hotel ballroom it really was delightful. Although by the time we reached it I was pretty windswept and I did know a cup of tea was next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home