Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The 'secret nuclear bunker' - a great family day out ...

Well at least I thought it had all the makings of a wonderful day out along with Mr P&M, my brother-in-law and Mother in law ... Let's just say I judged my choice perfectly for 75% of the party the last 25% was still shivering and laughing nervously sometime later in the car.

This photo was taken before I saw the signs saying you had to have a permit to take photos! Worth going back for one I'd say now.

Personally I can't recommend it highly enough as a day out ... I'm not going to give a huge amount of detail as it's well covered already in "Bollocks to Alton Towers" and if you're into these sort of visits you probably can just read the review in the copy you already have.

The thing I mainly enjoyed about the whole experience was the home-made nature of the place (take a look at their website if you want a flavour of this). So home-made there are no 'staff' just you and an audio guide and an honesty box at the end. There seemed something wonderfully in-appropriate about the government selling off their top-secret bolt hole where 600 of them would sit out 3 months of a potential nuclear winter ... and better still selling it back to the farmer who's family had originally had to 'sell' the land to the government.

The other thing I really wanted to spend more time looking at where the films that the new owner has collected together there. I've seen most of the protect and survive ones before ... but seeing them inside this bunker just made the recommendations for your average home owner seem all the more ludicrous, sinister and pathetic ("bush any fall out off of your food", "cover your bath full of water with an old door"). They also had a really interesting film I *think made to be shown in the bunker to calm people down if they were stuck in there for 3 months. Shot in the bunker it showed a sort of Hollywood meets stiff upper lip version of events where the characters (supposedly those you were now trapped underground with) pushed about little models and monitored blasts and fallout drift in an enthusiastic and purposeful way.

I guess it would be no good grumbling down there, even with the chemical loos and tinned food for 600 ... there was also a good supply of coffins although I couldn't work out in the rush to leave how they ejected those into the outside world.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've been there twice, and I have found it absolutely brilliant!
A very original and "extra-ordinary" day out in fact!
Definitely worth a visit in my opinion.
I also remember coming out of the tunnel at the end of the visit,and ending up in a small wood with all those lovely flowers, blubells maybe? Just so weird after having spent time underground...


Aline.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home