Thursday, July 07, 2005

Liquor with that?

First post pressure has now been mounting for some time ... My students have Blogs, my mentee is a queen Blogger, friends have Blogs and now Karen (my 'art collaborator' ... not that she isn't a friend!) has a Blog (Tales from the Rural Laptop) ... in short this is long over due ...

On Tilly's Blog (That's Dr. Tilly Blyth to newcomers - Curator of computing at the Science Museum) TechStyle she mentions Karen and I's early web based project A Hypertext Journal as a Blog predecessor - well as it's nearly 10 years since we made this, so I think it really is time to move on and get with posting. The only trouble is that since then I think Karen may have become funnier than me ... and I no longer have the starting advantage of being the only one to know how to write HTML at the off-set (not that our Blogs will be at all competitive).
Sometimes at random moments gems from our original Highland Journey still float to the web surface ... they have been there so long fragments seem to be lodged at the top of obscure Google searches. My favourite is when Karen once tried to show an Interweb-virgin-colleague the power of the search: ask me anything she quipped ... anything you want to know about and I'll type it in .... OK 'Salmonella' she replied ... first Google entry to appear had been written by Karen herself during a particularly unpleasant bout of food poisoning we suffered near Aberdeen. This did not seem to convince her colleague of the 'power' of the Internet.

Whilst this might seem an odd day to be starting a Blog, it might also be apt. As I type in London, communication networks all around are jammed with news of the bombs/explosions that happened here this morning and I can't really work as the phone is ringing every five minutes with friends and family checking up on us. The day we started our Scottish journey the Dunblane Tragedy hit the news, within days one of the first on-line book of condolences sprung up amongst the, then young, UK web user base. The thing I remember from 9-11, is it was the first time I was really aware of watching something awful happen live on our studio TV. During the recent war people have been searching for news on Blogs rather than radio or TV. Today I have seen images of an exploded bus on Flickr and read news on the BBC posted by people 'on the ground' rather than reporters. I know everyone at work at the Royal College is OK because all the staff and students in my department checked into one ichat to swap messages.

It might be a weird day to start a Blog ... but it's better than listening to the slow drip feed of bad news from the BBC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home